Saturday, June 26, 2010

甜豆浆 Sweet Soy Milk

 Before taking pictures I looked up 豆浆 in google images to get some ideas for the photo shoot. I saw these gorgeous pictures of the milk in mid pour. My poor camera has been banged around so much (little kids) and I thought it would not be able to get a clear picture because of the movement. Wow! When I put that little SD card into my computer and saw this picture I was more than a little excited.
Hope you all enjoy! This picture does a great job at showing you all how thick and rich this soy milk is. And it hopefully will get you interested enough to try it yourself. I am confident you will not be disappointed!

I generally don't find store bought soy milk very appetizing, it's okay but it suffers from a weird after taste. This homemade soy milk though, is delicious and there is none of that weird after taste. So fresh and rich. And it is actually fairy simple to make. Yum! Now I want a glass.
Taiwan has amazing breakfast shops, often open all day. I loved them. One of my favorite breakfasts was Taiwan's delicious 蛋饼 egg crepe with a glass of Sweet soy milk. Wonderful after a long morning run. They always served fresh Soy Milk made right there in the restaurant. This homemade soy milk is just as good as I remember. If all you have ever had is soy milk from a carton out of a refrigerator  or worse, off the shelf, you are in for a big surprise. The fresh homemade stuff is not even in the same league. I hope you all try it!

Ingredients
2 cups (3/4 lb.) soybeans
1.5 cups sugar or to taste
water

Rinse the soybeans until the water runs clear.
 Put the beans in a bowl and add 6 cups water.
Soak the beans until they expand to 2 or 2 1/2 times their original size. In hot weather this will take 5-6 hours; in cold weather it will take 8-12 hours.
 Drain the soaked beans and discard the soaking water. Mix the soaked beans with 8 cups of fresh water.  In several batches (two to three) blend the beans and water until smooth.
Mix the blended beans with another 7 cups of water. 
 In several batches (again 2-3), using a cheesecloth bag, squeeze out the liquid then dispose of the remaining sediment leftover.
Bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes to remove the strong bean taste.
 Add sugar to taste. I like to start with one cup then add to taste from there. Serve it hot or chill in the refrigerator until cold (chilled is my favorite way to serve it).
So rich and pleasantly sweet.

No comments :

Post a Comment