Tuesday, March 18, 2014

椰香咖喱鸡肉粽子 Coconut Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Chicken Curry Filling

A recipe for 粽子Zongzi-Glutinous rice dumplings was requested by a reader. I like getting requests from readers because it expands the variety of recipes beyond just what my husband and I have tried and enjoy and in this case, it gets me to give some foods a second chance. My first experience with 粽子Zongzi was in Taiwan were I was served a very traditional southern style zongzi.
The filling consisted of fried baby shrimp, a piece of marinated pig fat, shitaki mushroom, chestnuts and fried shallots. I was new to authentic Chinese food at the time and those baby shrimp that I kept finding in my food looked too much like bugs and so even though the taste was good I was grossed out by having `bugs`in my food. Then in Beijing while having my hair permed straight, the staff invited my to eat lunch with them. They all watched me curiously and commented on seeing a foreigner eat with chop sticks.

Side track- When I first got to Taiwan I had previously just had a crazy intense 3 month crash course in Mandarin. When I spoke Chinese to Taiwanese people they all treated me like I was the cutest little puppy that was running around in circles chasing his own tail. Haha! I loved the attention. They don`t treat me like that anymore. Guess that is a good thing, means my Chinese has improved but I do miss the attention.

Anyways, back to the hair salon in Beijing. They served me a zongzi  that was super bland and dry. So if it hadn`t not been for this reader request I would not have attempted making Zongzi myself and what a pitty that would have been. These coconut chicken curry Zongzi are definitely not bland and are so soft and moist and pleasantly chewy, not unlike a mochi or some other Asian chewy rice flour snacks. The bamboo leaves flavor seeps into the rice giving it an herb-like flavor.

There are endless varieties of Zongzi from savory to sweet. Chinese people traditionally eat Zongzi during the Dragon Boat Festival which is coming up in June. I will share another variety during that time with you and also tell you the historical story behind why Zongzi are eaten at that time.

30 Bamboo leaves or other leaves marketed as for making zongzi
500 grams Glutinous rice
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp. salt

Filling:
10 Chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
2 large carrots, cut into small pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 inch piece ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 Tbsp. chili powder (as mild or hot as you like)
2 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. five spice powder
1 cup evaporated milk or coconut milk or whole milk
2 tsp. cornstarch
Soak the rice for 3 hours (optional) and then rinse the rice.
You can choose to either soak the leaves overnight or steam them for 20 minutes.
Place rice in a dish that will fit in your steamer and mix in coconut milk and salt.
If you don't have a very deep steamer, you can improvise like I did. The following two pictures show how I did this. Steam for 20 minutes over high heat.
Meanwhile make a curry paste. Heat some oil over medium heat. Add the onions and fry until soft. Add the ginger and garlic, turn heat to low and add in the cumin, coriander, chili powder,curry powder and five spice powder and cook another 5 minutes. Put this mixture in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. 
Another option that is simpler and quicker is to use a really good curry paste instead. My favorite is Midas mild curry paste found in Asian markets. They also have a hot curry paste.
And chop the carrots and chicken into small pieces.
Heat some oil  and stir-fry chicken pieces until cooked through. Add the curry paste you made or about 2 Tbsp. commercial curry paste.
 Add the carrots, sugar and salt.
Mix the cornstarch into the evaporated milk and add to the chicken. Stir over heat until the sauce thickens. 
Click here to learn how to wrap and fold the bamboo leaves.
put some coconut rice in the bottom of the cone.
Add some curry filling.
Top with some more coconut rice.
Finish wrapping and tying the dumplings and place in a steamer. Steam for 45 minutes.
Should make about 15 dumplings. Allow to cool or chill and then serve.
Note: These are really good warm but I think my favorite way to eat these are chilled because I really like the chewy glutinous texture the rice gets after it is chilled. That is a personal preference thing so you will have to try it both ways and see which one you like and let me know.

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete