Monday, August 11, 2014

蛋花玉米汤 Sweet Corn Egg Drop Soup


Egg drop soup is a well known dish outside of China and versions of egg drop soup are too many to name. The recipe I want to share with you today is a thick and creamy sweet corn egg drop soup. I fell in love with this soup at Mcdonald's of all places in Taiwan. The Mcdonald's version has big delicious chunks of ham inside the soup. 

Most of the food I have eaten while living in Taiwan and China was in restaurants and on the streets, I can count the number of times I have been served a home style Chinese meal in the home of Taiwanese and Chinese on my two hands so my knowledge of home style cooking is limited and most of the recipes on this blog are restaurant style recipes.

One of those times when I was so privileged to to eat in the home of a Taiwanese she served me this soup. Her version was very similar to the mcdonald's version that I loved. I was thrilled! I asked her how she made it she showed me a can of creamed corn. I am sure my eyebrow shot a mile high in surprise. Not only is this soup amazingly delicious, it is also super easy and thrifty.

5 cups chicken Broth
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
sugar, to taste
salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste
2 green onions, green part chopped
1/2-3/4 cup ham cubed or crab meat (can also use shrimp or chicken), optional
1 Tbsp. cornstarch mix with 2 Tbsp. water
sesame oil

Combine 5 cup broth and 1 cup sweet corn in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium size pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Once it has come to a boil add 1 can creamed corn and boil for 3 minutes.
Season with sugar, salt and pepper to taste and add in the chopped green onions and chunks of ham or crab meat if using. Mix together 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. water.  and stir into the boiling soup. Cook until thickened.
Beat two eggs and remove the soup from the heat. Drizzle the beaten eggs into the soup..
..then stir in a clockwise direction to create shreds of egg.
Drizzle a little sesame oil and stir.
Allow the soup to cool slightly 
And serve you and your family up some delicious sweet corn egg drop soup.

No comments :

Post a Comment